Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Polygamy, eeek!

We went to Moab again this last weekend. I'll get some pictures posted. We went with my sister and her family. They got a new motor home and had to try it out. It was fun going with them on their maiden voyage!

My sister let me borrow her book called "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop, It's the life story of a lady raised in the FLDS church, she was married off when she was 18, she 'escaped' when she was 35 with her 8 children. The whole polygamy thing has always interested me, I've never known much about it, it's all been a mystery to me. I'm not really the 'sharing type' I guess, so I never understood why one would want to be a "sister wife". After reading this book, I really don't understand it. I'm sure there was a time and a place for it, I'm just glad that this isn't the time or place for it. This woman had some serious courage I think. I don't know what I would have done if I'd have been in her position. I couldn't put the book down though, I was reading it while we were driving on the trails (until I'd get sick), and read it in bed and on the way home. Now I'm trying to listen to all of the news stories that are on right now about the kids that were removed from the YFZ compound in TX. When you are raised in that religion and you are taught that everyone on the outside is evil and are all going to hell, I'm sure they were all traumatized. I don't think they let them have any outside contact at all, they took away books, TV, public school (not that their public school was really very public). Any way, I feel bad for the kids and some of the wives. The kids were probably freaking out that these evil people were taking them away, and the wives are probably scared to speak out that the kids are being abused and so are they.

I'm so grateful for my husband, and that I was able to choose him. I'm grateful for our religion and all of the freedom that we have, and that our church teaches that abuse is bad, it's not something that is normal for men to abuse their wives and children. It's a fascinating book, I recommend it, it's a little disturbing, but fascinating!

3 comments:

Natelli Johnston said...

I am excited to read it. How are ya girL?It is snowing and I am angry.

Autumn said...

I am also angry about the snow!! Amen to that whole post! So thankful that we aren't required to share our husbands! I can't imagine what those poor kids are going through! You should post this on the book group blog!

Chelsea said...

I have been watching CNN Nancy Grace every night and Carolyn Jessop is always there to answer questions and give horrifying details of life in the FLDS church. I didn't know that she wrote a book, I'll read it. Thanks. It is really interesting.