Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Step 1: Clean and Shine Your Sink... Check!

I've been feeling out of sorts for the last... um, while. I think it's because of the simple fact that my house is out of sorts, cluttered and completely unorganized. I used to be a real clean freak, probably almost to the point where I could have used some meds : ). In high school it would drive me crazy when friends would come in my room, pick something up, look at it and not put it back in the exact spot where it went and on the correct angle that it was facing (lol, sad an a little weird for a teenager I think). See I told you I probably should have been on medication for it. You've seen how my clothes are color coordinated in my closet, that started in Jr. High. Over the last few years with me being so sick and having a new baby... well, I don't really know what happened to me but I'll use that as my excuse. I thought it was okay until it's gotten to the point where I can't find things, my brain feels scattered and unorganized because my home is. My friends, things are about to change. Today I joined the FLYlady group. I will be expecting several emails everyday and I'm going to get my shtuff togetha! I'm excited about this, I'd forgotten about the FLYlady until my friend Katie said something about it. I signed up for it several years ago, but I only had one "hot spot" and got my sink shiny and I was pretty much done, so I unsubscribed from the group. I did step 1 today and it feels really good. I even did my bathroom sinks while I was at it and since I was standing by the toilets when I cleaned the the sinks, I put a little bleach in them as well and cleaned those nasty things up (toilets are so not my fave!). Here is my sink, shiny right?
I actually feel like I've started somewhere and I feel really great that I did something today rather than look and my mess and wonder where to start. She tells you what to do on what day. You set a timer and don't do any task for more than 15 min. at a time. You start out small and work your way up. Anyone want to do it with me? If you do go to FLYlady.net and sign up for the group, and let me know. I'm excited I'm going to feel so great when my house is clean. Hopefully I won't be a freak about it though : ). Thanks Katie for mentioning Flylady and laundry, I'm so excited. The picture of the sink is my hug to you (that was a flyladyism just in case you didn't recognize it. ROFLSHIP)

14 comments:

tiki_lady said...

I am a flylady graduate and yes I did need meds because I was obsessed with cleaning to the point I would stay up til 2am talking to you and painting my baseboards. I thought I could double my time, that I got a headset for my phone would talk to people, fold clothes, prune my roses and scrub the tub. I am nothing but efficient. I was insane and would freak at my kids but my house was clean. Then HF blessed me with a 4th child, who was very sick and he blessed me with congestive heart failure 3 times in a week that put my patooty flat on its back for almost a year and dealing with a sick baby for 2 years and 3 other children. YEAH! I guess you could say I was pretty dense. It no longer mattered that I take my toilet seats completely off to clean them, it no longer mattered that my basebaords were collecting dust. I learned to deal with it. Now, my house is orderly and lived in. I still don't like it but there are other things more important like living life with my children. I am so glad for those trials because I enjoy more moments with the fam, instead of having dh and the kids with the fam and me in the other room, cleaning, and going through every cupboard organizing. Have you seen Sleeping with the Enemy?? well, I see nothing wrong with that guy, and wish dh had more of the cleaning organized bug.

tiki_lady said...

ok, that was a freaking book. Yeah, kt invited me too, I am a fly graduate. I have found her system and found a way to make it work for me. I love the laundry routine. I keep that. I do the shine the sink, the 27 fling boogie and the hot spots! I like the weekly and monthly challenges.
Maybe, I will sign back up in a few weeks when the kiddos begin school again!

tiki_lady said...

hey you changed your underwear! I like it! Ohh, I thought you were going to call me last night. I have to work tomorrow morning at 4am. I'm not feeling the job, again. I think I need to fly somewhere! No, not UT. I am not thin enough!

Jason and Kristin said...

Stop...none of this cleaning talk until I finish Breaking Dawn and I just started it today! Your sink does look pretty sweet though. Maybe when the school year starts and I feel more orderly I can jump on board. That's funny that you were so clean as a teenager. I personal was at my messiest then and I seem to be doing better with time and age :) Ok, keep up the good work, you are setting a very good example for me.

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

Oh my goodness, wish I had a little of your OCD. Although today I was at physical therapy, one of the ladies took the towels out of the dryer, I almost got off the table to go fold them for her, I love love to do laundry!
We are all alittle nuts, Oh, and I am on meds:) Ha Ha
Raelyn is so much like you and her husband is worse! When she was a teenager she had her 17 magazines in monthly order. I need to be better, I tried the flylady once, I just counldn,t put my shoes on in the morning like she wanted, so I quit! Oh well, have a good time

Bonnie said...

Confession: Hi, my name is Bonnie and I am a clean freak, perfectionist, Master OCD, etc.... My husband says our house is like a museum....I like to think more like a temple?? No, seriously, I am on meds and everyone is grateful that they can "live" in our house. I am bad at staying up late to "finish" everything, too. I grew up in a house that I was totally embarrassed if anyone I knew ever "dropped in." So, I am total opposite... My boys were shocked one morning when they saw me unload the dishwasher...they thought it was just a cycle on it because they had never seen me empty it before. I totally know the overwhelming feeling that you've had... Good luck!!

Autumn said...

K....I'm joining Flylady right now! That is such a great idea! I used to be nuts about cleaning too...but now I'm just completley opposite and it DRIVES me nuts! I hate a dirty house...but I have no motivation these days! Sign me up!

Natelli Johnston said...

I need to join! that sink looks specfabulous! (I just made that word up, doesn't it rock?) thanks for listening to my rant late last night :D we just might still be going to Hawaii yet.

Cheryl said...

I've got to take a peek at this "Flylady" thing. You did motivate me to get my toilet shining. I'm going after the kitchen sink this morning.
The kitchen is on my list of things to do today---unless something more exciting comes up!
I just happened to walk by this computer as I was watering plants. There is some kind of pull for me to check out a few blogspots--it's kind of like visiting friends without going anywhere.
I see that you've also had time to remodel your blog page too and it looks summery-fun.
Happy Saturday--hope we all get lots done.

Natelli Johnston said...

Ter, how is your vacation going? I miss you ;D

Amy's Blog said...

What is FLYlady? I am dying to know? If it is a cleaning group, then I think I should be honerary president. I have OCD to the MAX!

ktmay said...

awesome!!!! the sink looks fab. i get discouraged sometimes because my sink doesn't STAY fab for long at all. i can't seem to keep up with the mess-makers around this place.(waah) i clean up after myself. why can't everyone else do the same? EH? (more waah)

tiff said...

Ive attempted to FLY several times-it has lots of great ideas. Im so excited to see your blog. check mine out.

Emily said...

Teri, I heard Nate is in Connor's class and I am in CA till Sunday night. Can you call my cell, I just have some questions about school on Monday. Thanks! 801-376-7129.